Saturday, March 6, 2010

Experimenting with Technique












"Untitled" (detail), oil on canvas


Winters are seemingly endless in Michigan and at times I feel a need to scratch my creative in the studio during the white months. I have always enjoyed applying "what if" to my work. This winter I've jogged myself a bit by alternating techniques. To begin, I considered my normal process and the various techniques I use. I then switched the emphasis to lesser used techniques and found that my work took on a fresh look.

For instance, in "Summer Remnants" (see January, 2010 post entitled, "Winter Painting") I dramatized soft edges. In another, as yet untitled work in progress (see detail above), dry brushing dominates. The direct opposite of what I normally do. It's been fun to redirect my process in opposing ways that have created unexpected and happy results. I've not really changed my process, simply altered the emphasis.

No comments: