Monday, January 25, 2010

Winter Painting

"Remnants of Summer", 18x24", oil on linen

I paint often on the property of a large local farm that offers varied natural, tilled and pastoral scenes. Working in the winter is, to me, the most rewarding time to record abstracted shapes and value contrasts. So much easier to identify than when everything in the landscape is green. I find the evident juxtapositioning of line and shapes thoroughly exciting.

The painting, "Remnants of Summer" (above) was created in the studio after completing an on-site pencil sketch of the abandoned farm building one cold January morning. The delicate grasses against the austere lines of the building and broken fence caught my eye. If you've never painted in the snow I encourage you to try it. Reading the next post will help you dress warmly for the occasion.

No comments: